Wednesday, January 6, 2010

ride that train

I will begin this post by saying that all of these photos are courtesy of Renee, the now "professional photographer"! Thanks for taking pics Renee!

This pic of Alex has nothing to do with our train ride into the city, but I thought it was a cute one so I threw it in.
On a very cold, windy day we packed up the kids and boarded the train to Philadelphia. The kids were very well behaved and enjoyed the train ride, which was about an hour. Kellan stood up most of the time, looking out the window and jumping up and down on the seat.

Once we arrived we headed straight for the miniature train display in Market Street station. This display is a train lover's dream--I think my nephew Nolan would happily have spent the entire day there, watching the various trains drive around, pushing the buttons to make different things move. Kellan also loved watching the trains--I can't tell you how many times I heard him loudly yell "TRAINS" everytime he saw them!


We then headed over to Macy's (formerly Wanamaker's) to check out their light show. I hadn't been to see this since I was a kid, and I have a memory of going to watch this with my parents so it was cool to be able to take my kids to see it.

The kids enjoyed hanging out on the floor waiting for it to start--Kellan was a wild man rolling all around on the (less than clean) floor, laughing and playing with Mia.
After the show, we walked through the Charles Dickens display of A Christmas Carol before heading back through Reading Terminal Market, grabbing some food, then making our way back to the train. The kids enjoyed the ride home as well, with Nolan being the only one to fall asleep--he slept most of the ride home, while Kellan and Mia were awake through their nap time and were jumping on the seats, eating snacks, and having a good time.
It was great to spend the day with Jon and Renee and family, as well as Renee's mom. I look forward to taking the kids again next year :) Hopefully Marlon will be able to join us next time!




3 comments:

Tamara said...

you're making me want to fly the kids to PA next Christmas so we can see the trains and the light show (remember the Warehouse scavenger hunt every Christmas time? it involved the Wanamaker light show and the shops at the Bourse and more....)!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of the Warehouse scavenger hunts while we were there! I would have enjoyed more time to wander around and reminisce, but we were moving pretty quickly from place to place while the kids were happy and cooperating! I'd forgotten that the scavenger hunts took us to Wanamakers--that may be the last time I was there!

Renee said...

It was so much fun!!!! Safe to say the kids had a blast... I enjoyed holding my sleeping boy in my arms on the way home :)

glad you like the pics! I like that one of Alex too.

(and it's soooo weird to have you say I'm a professional photographer now... still doesn't seem right or that I'm worthy of that title!)