
Today was my (baby) girl's first day of Kindergarten! (sniff, sniff) Here in WV we have full day kindergarten, so she goes to school from about 8:40-3:30 every day. She was excited to go this morning and we were able to walk her in on the first day, so it was nice to see her off and make sure she got settled in.

She ended up knowing a boy in her class from her preschool, and there is a little girl from the neighborhood that she'd never met but is now in her class so I would imagine they may become friends.

Before bed tonight she filled me with stories about her day...getting snacks during the day, eating lunch (and finishing it all!), playing on the playground and discovering that school has the same parallel bars that her preschool had (I wasn't super excited about this as I worry they are a broken arm in the waiting by the way she hangs and swings on them!), and I think one of her favorite things was a "treasure hunt" they were sent on to find a missing gingerbread man around the school. She said they went to the library and had to ask the librarians if they'd seen the g-bread man, only to discover that it had knocked over a bunch of books and left, then they headed to the kitchen to find out that the cooks had accidentally baked it in the oven, and then they looked for it on the playground, only to eventually discover it had found it's way back to Mrs. Cline's classroom! It sounds like a great way to explore the school in a fun way, and all the kids were rewarded with treats at the end. She said they colored pictures of cupcakes and g-bread men, and she also got to go to Music class at the end of the day--she said her tummy hurt a little during class (it was at the end of the day), and she also said she was tired (those of you who know her know that's pretty rare!) but she seemed to have fun regardless.
I arrived at the end of the day to pick her up (I will be driving her to and from school for now--we don't know anyone in the neighborhood that takes the bus so I feel more comfortable with this for the time being) and she was one of the last kids waiting for pick up but she was patiently waiting at the door for me!

It was so good to see her and hear about what a good day she had--big relief for me! She was rewarded with a trip out for ice cream with Kellan and Adelaide since her day went so well, and I think it's fair to say she was pretty tired by the time she went to bed (I like that!). Tomorrow morning she begins soccer practice at 9:00 so there's no sleeping in for her!
3 comments:
I really can't believe that Alex has started KINDERGARTEN!!! Seems like yesterday she was still a baby. She has grown up so fast. I'm starting to feel the same way with Carter. He starts pre-school Tuesday. Only 2 half days because of therapy but still enough to count as school. I even bout him a backpack!
Lauren
awwww! sounds like alex's first day went really well and she enjoyed herself!! so glad she had fun. her school sounds (and looks) adorable and i love the whole gingerbread man treasure hunt. so cute! glad you had so much fun alex!!! we love you big girl :)
She is beautiful, Jen!
Post a Comment