Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Hail, our house, and Jessica Seinfeld

So this post has a little bit of everything in it--some random things I wanted to document and chat about...the first photo is from our recent hail storm. This was a few weeks ago, and since I'd NEVER experienced anything quite like it I had to make sure and take a photo. Both Marlon and I were wondering if it was actually a tornado--we had 60+ mph winds, rain, and hail pelting all of the big windows in our house. It was pretty scary! This day had been a nice sunny day in the 80's, and the storm came through around 10:00 pm and I couldn't believe our deck was coated with white balls of hail. It blew all of our furniture clear across the deck--it's a miracle nothing broke!
This is a picture taken the other day of Alex wearing her plastic fireman's hat while playing with her dad. It's a rare one of her smiling so I had to share it!

As promised, here are a few photos of our house. West Virginia is a state filled with mountains, so finding flat land is very difficult to do. We're fortunate enough to have a small portion of flat ground in our backyard, and a flat area on the driveway. In case you can't tell from the following photos, we live in a new development so we have the joy of seeing all of this construction when we look out our back window! It will be interesting to see how the landscape changes once we have a huge house sitting behind us!




The final one is of my sweet girl kissing the scarecrow out front. Too cute to not share!

My last random question--Did anyone see the recent Oprah about Jessica Seinfeld's book, "Deceptively Delicious"? She basically mixes all sorts of vegetable purees (squash, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, etc.) into everything she makes for her kids--according to Oprah the food tastes pretty good, too! I'm actually considering buying this and trying it for Alex. As most of you know, she is a very picky eater--she doesn't eat fruits (other than applesauce and the occasional bite of banana), she eats virtually no vegetables, and doesn't eat much meat either. Oprah made all the foods look so yummy-like brownies with spinach in them, chicken nuggets cooked with sweet potato or broccoli puree. Jessica says she just spends an hour once a week pureeing all of the veggies then putting them in ziploc bags, then throughout the week she pulls out bags as she needs them and adds them to whatever she's cooking. I think I might give it a try--I would feel better knowing that Alex was getting a more balanced diet than she gets now! Anyone else see this?





4 comments:

Renee said...

that hail is insane jenn!!! wow! i'm glad you're all okay and nothing broke... (made for a great picture though!)

LOVE the picture of Alex smiling with the fireman's hat on!!! Such a pretty girl...
and her kissing the scarecrow is just too sweet.

i didn't see the oprah episode, but it sounds really fascinating! I feel like Nolan would be able to tell the difference... although i would definitely try it. if you try it, you'll have to tell me what happens and how things taste! Nolan literally could tell the difference between whole grain breaded nuggets and the plain white breaded nuggets.... or at least i think he did (he spit out the whole grain one). i'm thankful he likes green beans, peas, corn, carrots, potatoes (we're still working on the broccoli) and eats any kind of fruit.... but it would still be so nice to have him eat more nutritious things - especially meat (other than hot dog and chicken nuggets). I guess they expand their taste buds over time... Alex has improved so much... but let me know what happens if you try it! :)

Mike, Amy, Max and Lily said...

Hi Jenn,
I did see that episode and I was thinking about trying it also. It seems like a pretty simple concept and if you start early enough kids shouldn't have an issue--maybe even grownups who don't eat enough veggies wouldn't have an issue :)

Thanks for sharing the pictures! I can't believe how big Alex is getting--she's just too cute. I'm excited for her to meet her new Penn State friend the next time you're in town! Happy belated birthday! Hope you're feeling good. Tell Marlon and Alex we said hello.

Mindy said...

My Mom told me all about that Oprah. I am hoping it is still on TiVo. It sounds pretty interesting!

That hail is crazy!

Megan said...

Hi Jen, this is Renee's friend Megan, just checking out your blog! I have to say your house is beautiful! And Alex is just adorable - I love all her mischievious looks. I didn't see the Oprah episode but I saw something similar on the Today Show and I was interested b/c Catherine is very picky as well. She would live on yogurt and PB&J if I let her. Ella was very picky as well and has become a good eater so there's still hope!