Saturday, December 1, 2007

Deceptive Feeding Begins!

So I finally got around to purchasing the Deceptively Delicious cookbook a week or so ago, and yesterday I went out and got a steamer to cook veggies, so I decided to give some recipes a try last night. I must say that I am impressed so far, and it makes me feel good to know I am sneaking healthy food into Alex's diet. Last night I cooked and pureed sweet potatoes and butternut squash, which was a fun process. I did learn that my blender doesn't double very well as a food processor, so I think I'll have to invest in one of those. This morning for breakfast I made pancakes with sweet potato in them--I figured I should at least try the food that I'm feeding her, and I'll admit they were good! For lunch I swiped some butternut squash onto the bread when making a grilled cheese sandwich for Alex's lunch, and she didn't seem to notice. She also scarfed down the pancakes this morning--I froze the remaining ones but I'm not sure how well they'll hold up in the freezer since they seemed a bit more moist than regular pancakes. Last night I mixed up some plain lo-fat yogurt with some pureed frozen blueberries, added a little powdered sugar, then put them into popsicle molds to make frozen yogurt popsicles. I wanted to start with some of the easy, basic recipes to see if this idea is really feasible for me, and so far, so good! My next goal is to attempt to make homemade brownies with carrot and spinach in them!! I LOVE brownies, so I'm sure I'll be pretty picky about how these taste, but I'll keep you posted!

On another very important note....we need some feedback on baby names. This is totally Marlon's idea to post this on here--I'm much more a fan of "I really don't want to know if someone doesn't like our name choices, particularly if I really love them" but we have had a difficult time finding any names that we both would consider for the baby. So far we only have 2 in the running--and we each prefer one of them (not the same one of course). What are your thoughts? The 2 choices right now are Cameron and Kellan. Let me know which you prefer, and feel free to share any other suggestions you have as we're open to ideas!

7 comments:

Mike, Amy, Max and Lily said...

What happened to Jack Henry?? That was my favorite choice for you! Especially since I wanted to name Max Jack but quickly realized that Jack Zuckett could lead to a lot of teasing. I think I might like Kellan better because I associate Cameron with being a girl's name. My vote still goes for Jack Henry but that's just me.

I'm glad that sneaking veggies into Alex's diet has worked so for--I should probably get that book to sneak veggies into my own diet :) Although butternut squash has been my new favorite so far (probably because I put butter and brown sugar in it)!

Shelby said...

I have that book too and love it! I too feel great knowing that I'm sneaking in some healthy foods to Brady without him knowing. I love just watching him say mmmmm mmmmm, nodding his head in acceptance! Names, thats a tough one - especially boys. I can't tell you how many battles Scott and I had with both boys. I had 60 names on a list and Scott scratched all but 5 - I was devastated since I worked so hard coming up with them. I do like Kellan. My top one that Scott immediately said no to was Ryerson. I love that name! Oh well - Chase rocks too :) - hee hee... If you want my 60 name list - I'd be happy to email it to you.
Good luck!

1dermama said...

Wow..sounds like i should get this book for my little ones! I'm thrilled if Maddy eats something other than tortilla shells!

As for names, I like the names Garrett and Cole. Do anything for you?

Megan said...

I might have to add that book to my Christmas list - especially if you say that the spinach brownies turn out good.

As for names I like both. Kellan jumps out at me - perhaps bc there's a football player with that name so I've heard it recently. I also like it because it's unique without being strange -sounds English maybe?

I meant to post this on the other post but I love the picture of Alex and the underwear! Too funny...

Tamara said...

keep us posted on those recipes. that is definitely a book i will have to purchase once davey starts eating. frankly, dave and i need the veggies, too! :)

as for names, i like both, but like amy said, i tend to associate Cameron to a girl's name, but that's likely because i know more girls named Cameron than boys (though i do know both). Kellan has a really cool sound to it, but you also have to think about things like being on vacation and Kellan not finding a keychain with his name on it. i always HATED that when i was little (you remember, i'm sure).

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn! So it sounds like you have gotten a lot of positive response on Kellan! I think Cam and Kellan are pretty nice....again...Killian is not that different...maybe just the irish version of Kellan but we get tons of people who absolutely love it. Some people (and their kids are usually Matt or something simple) stutter on the "what's that?" but you have to expect that it is just a few years that YOU have to worry about the name. We got tons of people who HATED Donovan as a name. Although, what would you call him if he wasn't Donovan or Van? Killian is so unique in his looks (to me) and I think the name suits him fine...I guess what I am trying to say is, if my kids were in Ireland, no one would notice their names at all...but they are here and they look very different and their names are equally as unique. I think whatever you and Marlon both decide you will be proud of is the one to go with. I actually know more boys who are Camerons than girls...I think MTV had a Cameron on one of their reality shows though and that may have been when everyone noticed the name as a girls, I think of a cheerleader when I think of a girl Cam...I don't know...What about Conrad? I know...very different but you could nickname him Con or Rad..I have a friend who was Radcliff and went by Rad and was a very successful guy with a crazy unique name...He looks like a mix in between my boys in looks...dark skin but blondish brown hair but pin straight and very tall...anyway I considered it...You know I love Jaxon, Kellan, Cameron-he could go with Ron or Cam, I met a couple of boys at a birthday party this Sunday...Blake-too cute, Chandler, oh...if (Heaven forbid!) we were to have another boy...I wanted Lincoln-I absolutely love that..but again...most people wouldn't name their kids Van and Killian-nicknames Kills and Ian! ha..I am the worst person to chime in on Kellan...I named Kelci too...I just must have a thing for K names! Deb and Jeremy are going for Logan for a boy...but perhaps too many L's? What about Jack Kellan Leblanc? That is a good compromise. and you could just call him Kellan. Alrighty...talk to you later...I will be home (Jersey) Saturday night until Tuesday...let me know what your plans are then so I can try to catch up to you and Alexandra-if she is coming...lots of love to each of you!! Don't forget to say hi to the nameless one for me!! Mwaa! Heidi

Renee said...

wow Jenn, I am so impressed on you making all of those foods already and how Alex can't tell the difference! It sounds awesome. Can you email me a few of the recipes you've tried already so I can just try them out on Nolan? Although he's a fairly good eater, he's stuck in his rut of eating the SAME things all the time, and I need to expand his food choices.

I love both names... I knew you were thinking of Cameron originally, but I do love Kellan too. Very cute and original. Kellan Jack Leblanc sounds very good :)

Let's talk soon - can't wait to see you guys!!! :)