Wednesday, October 22, 2008

(Not so) exciting happenings

No new pictures to post but I just wanted to give you an idea what we've been up to this week. Most importantly, our dishwasher pump broke a week ago and we have been waiting for a new pump to be ordered. They called tonight to say they're coming to put it in tomorrow (HALLELUIAH!), but after a week of washing my own dishes I have a new appreciation for how hard a dishwasher works. I've also learned that our kitchen is not big enough to have a dishwasher that doesn't function-when your sink and counters become filled with a few meals' worth of dishes, there is no room left to prepare food, or do anything else for that matter. Talk about an invention that saves time-I just spent the last 45 minutes washing all dishes (and cutting my finger on the blade in the blender in the meantime)--all of which would have taken less than 10 minutes if I was just loading the dishwasher! It's a good thing they called tonight to say they could come tomorrow because I had resolved to stop cooking food and start using only disposable dishes and silverware until it got fixed (aren't I lazY?!)

Enough about the dishwasher--maybe it just bothers me because I've actually been attempting to cook food this past week while trying to clean out my freezers and pantry. I made a delicious homemade chicken noodle soup (first attempt ever) with a recipe I snagged from Kendy (thanks a bunch!) and I must say it's DELICIOUS! I even thought to freeze some for that next cold/flu that one of us gets where we're dying for some good soup. I've also been pureeing some baby food for Kellan--I'm not obsessing about making everything homemade but it's kind of fun (and cost efficient of course!) to make some, now that I'm more familiar with pureeing after my dabbles in the Deceptively Delicious cookbook. I made squash and carrots so far (which he enjoyed) and this evening I made avocado (which I confess I have never even tasted) and peas. Alex likes to help so it's a fun little project we can do after Kellan goes to bed. I know some of you make your own food--any other suggestions for good/easy things to try? I also have a zucchini to steam--I'll just wait until my dishwasher works to make some more since it's all a bit messy!

Last night was family night at Alex's school. I didn't even bother to take pictures since Alex refused to go with her group and teachers up front to sing their little songs they'd learned. It's kind of strange since Alex is rarely, if ever, a clingy girl but the only other times I recall it standing out are at the last year's family night at school. You'd think she'd be so comfortable around the friends and teachers she's with every day, but she just completely shuts down. She is forever singing all the little songs and rhymes she learns at school around the house, but I don't think she made a peep during the whole thing last night! Needless to say since she spent the entire time on my lap I didn't have the ability to break out the camera while holding her and tending to Kellan! This is the same little girl who will go to her daddy's soccer games and go off and sit with some of the college students she's met through the soccer team and just hang out with them for an entire half--very strange!

Enough randomness. I'm off to watch the rest of the Phillies game--have a great night!

5 comments:

Renee said...

I too, have a new appreciation for dishwashers after ours had to get repaired as well! I very quickly switched to paper plates and cups after a day or two of washing dishes, so I don't think you're lazy at all! :)
That's great that you're making some baby food! Especially with baby #2 - I was not as ambitious :) Try sweet potato though - they are big, and it makes so much when you mash it all up. I did the whole putting it in the ice cube trays and it worked out really great and was very easy. Have you tried any really soft foods yet with him?
So funny about alex! Go Phillies! :)

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE avocado! guacamole was one of the first baby foods i gave my two kiddies! they inhaled it!

Kendy said...

Hi Jenn!
I actually grew up without a dishwasher and now I can't imagine properly functioning without one. My parents just got their kitchen remodeled and got a dishwasher but my mom doesn't use it. I cannot understand this!

On another note...
Your mom and I were looking at Josh and my wedding pictures today and saw pictures of Alex. Kellan looks SO much like her from those pictures! It's crazy! They are both so cute. Miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

I would have to say the veggies were much easier than the fruit. Fruit takes a long time to peel and it doesn't yeild as much after you blend it. But I made Carter everything- green beans, sweet potato, peas, carrots, squash (which he was allergic to), brocolli, apples, peaches, pears, plums, melon, avacado. He loved brocolli corn mixed together. And its easier as he gets older to leave it more lumpy for texture. Happy pureeing!!!
Lauren

Mike, Amy, Max and Lily said...

Max LOVES sweet potatoes, butternut squash, acorn squash, carrots, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, peaches, blueberries, pretty much anything you can blend up and freeze in an ice cube tray, he'll eat.

In the beginning we didn't add any seasonings, but now we do--especially cinnamon & nutmeg in the sweet potatoes and squash.

Let me know if you have any questions.