Saturday, November 17, 2007

Off to the Movies!

Today was a day of a couple firsts--the most exciting one being Alex's first trip to the movie theater! I took Alex, along with my friend Jess and her boys Jameson and Jarrett, to see the Bee Movie this afternoon. We bought a huge tub of popcorn and took along some m&m's and lollipops and decided to give it a try! It actually went pretty smoothly and Alex really enjoyed it. I did learn that she's not quite heavy enough to keep the seat from trying to collapse on her, so she spent most of the movie on my lap, but she was happy eating bowl after bowl of popcorn! It went so well that we're already planning ahead to our next movie outing--possibly to see that movie that just came out Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium--that looks like something kids would enjoy.

The other first was not quite as enjoyable (for me at least!). I decided to let Alex spend most of the day in "big girl underwear" (not to the movies of course--I'm not that crazy), and it definitely was far from successful--we went through 4 pairs of underwear, pants, and socks due to her not telling me about needing to go potty until it was too late! I had thought it may be worth giving it a try because she recently has been telling us when she needs to pee so we can make it to the potty(BEFORE it happens) although pooping is still consistently in the pull-ups, and because her teacher at school says she almost always uses the potty and stays dry, but I guess she doesn't mind being soaking wet as much as I thought she would! I figure I'll give it a go again tomorrow once we get home from church since we'll probably be around the house all day--we'll see if we have any more luck!

No pictures to share today but hopefully in the near future I'll have pictures of Alex's redecorated big girl room--we picked out paint and her new bedding arrived the other day, and her new furniture should be arriving in the next few weeks. I'll make sure to share once we get it all done!

3 comments:

Renee said...

So fun Jenn! (the movies, not the accidents...haha)
I took Nolan to the Regal Cinemas Summer Festival (do you guys have that?) during the summer a couple times, where they have free movies for kids 2 days a week in the morning. He loved it too, and he definitely wasn't heavy enough to keep the seat down too, so i had my hand on it the whole time, keeping it from collapsing on him -so funny! We never made it through a whole movie though...he started getting antsy and wanted to climb the stairs up and down the isles when the movie was about 1/2 hour from being done. Oh well, it was free :) I think Nolan would love the bee movie though. maybe we'll try it with him. wait, what am i thinking, we're about to have a baby! (literally... i'm having contractions again and have been for the past 4 hours!)
we'll call soon!!!!!

Shelby said...

That sounds like an exciting first - I heard the bee movie was great too! The other you mentioned - my sis went and she said there is a "death" scene with a funeral and all -- she said it was too much for kids but I don't know - just thought I'd pass it along ... The potty training thing - yikes - we aren't even at the potty stage yet. We were doing good but then he had a little "accident" (very tramatizing for him though) and now he has sworn off any potties! I have a few pic's of what he uses his potty for now --- oh boy :) Good luck with Alex on Sunday - let us know how she does! If you got tips - would love to hear them Miss yous - Love yas

Anonymous said...

a friend told me she potty trained her kids this way: if they had an accident in their clothes they (she has twins) had to clean up (meaning put their own wet clothes in the laundry basket and pick out new clothes to wear)... sarah was trained in two days... it took sam a bit longer. they were two years old. good luck with an accident-free day! -tam