Thursday, February 28, 2008

Deceptive Cooking Update

I realized that I have not really updated you on my adventures with the Deceptively Delicious cookbook (primarily because for a while I was not making anything!)...well I'm back in the groove again after talking to my friend Jess, who also recently got the cookbook, and she is flying through the recipes and making a ton of different things that she says are great. I can say from experience that I tasted her brownies with spinach puree in them (she just used a boxed mix and substituted the spinach for the vegetable oil) and I must say I was very impressed! From a chocolate/brownie expert, that is saying a lot! I have my own box of brownie mix and that's next on my list of snacks to make. The key is not eating the brownies when they are warm or apparently you will notice the spinach more. I also just made frozen yogurt ice cream sandwiches (made with vanilla yogurt, some sugar, a little lemon juice, and some graham crackers). They are freezing now and I will let Alex taste them when she gets home today!

Recipes that are becoming staples: Pancakes with sweet potato in them (although I've modified the book's recipe and just make a normal pancake recipe with the sweet potato and cinnamon--very delicious!). Jess also just suggested adding sweet potato or squash into pasta sauce when you make pasta--you can't taste it and it adds some veggies to your diet! I did it the other night and it tasted great--Alex doesn't eat pasta so it wasn't so much for her as it was for me! I will definitely continue to do this--as long as I have the veggies on hand. I've been buying a few small containers of the baby food--definitely a time saver for someone like me who often doesn't plan dinner too far in advance! I have also been adding squash into Alex's grilled cheese sandwiches--she has never noticed before up until last night when I think I overdid it on the squash, and after her first bite she said "I don't like grilled cheese", so I think I have to scale back on the squash a bit next time!

Tonight I think I'm going to try one of the burger recipes--it's made with ground turkey and the ingredients sound pretty good, so I'm excited to see how they taste. I will pass along that feedback from the family after this evening's dinner! For us I think the key is making modifications to the recipes to make them more applicable to what we eat. I'm not trying to overdo it by turning everything into completely healthy meals--just trying to improve our eating a bit!

5 comments:

Tamara said...

thanks for the update! i've been wondering how it's going... i'm looking forward to getting the book and trying out some of the recipes... i'd like to get started on it BEFORE davey is eating (much) food off our plates... this way he won't know any different! :)

Mike, Amy, Max and Lily said...

Jenn--did you use two panels per window in your nursery or one--it's hard to tell in your picture. We're trying to figure out what we need. I think just one.

Anonymous said...

Amy--We just have one panel on each window. I don't recall the size, but it's a slightly wider than normal single window, and it seems to cover it fine. I ordered a total of 2 panels. Hope that helps!

Kendy said...

Hey Jenn! Great to hear the update! This baby is going to arrive on March 10th... that is my little prediction! Haha! I actually just had a similar thing happen at work where a child that is normally really well behaved decided to act up for her dad. It was so bizarre because she is such a sweet kid and she actually reminds me of Alex a little. For some reason it seems like the kids at work are always better behaved for everyone but their own parents. I think I wasn't the easiest child but then college came and it changed me... so just give it a few years... haha... kidding of course!
About the deceptively delicious cookbook, i have been telling all my student's parents about it. In fact I just told one this week who was worried about their kiddo getting good stuff in her since she only wants to eat bread, some fruits and junk food.
Hope you are feeling okay... I remember all those annoying contractions but they are a good sign! Give Alex a hug and kiss and your little belly a rub! Can't wait to see you guys soon!

Renee said...

yay for deceptive cooking!
I have to start up again... I used some of the recipes when I first got it, but have to continue to try some more out. The french toast with canned pumpkin is always a hit though. Same with the pureed spinach on a wheat pita with sauce and cheese on top!

Oh, and we were at your mom and dad's this weekend, and were looking at Alex's baby pictures, and we all think that Mia looks like Alex's baby pics! :)