Monday, March 31, 2008

Life with baby...week 2

I found a spare minute and wanted to try and post a few new photos. Things are going well here--I remember when Alex was first born it took me a good 5 weeks to get myself together enough to get out of the house regularly. This time around I've got cabin fever already, so I am taking any chance I can get to get out and run to the store, usually taking Alex with me and leaving Kellan with Marlon. We did all venture out to church yesterday, which was nice. That was officially Kellan's first outing, other than his trip to the doctor. It went well--he slept in his car seat the whole time so we were able to keep him covered up and avoid potential germs!! (I figure God isn't going to be mad for getting out and going to church, right?? what better reason to leave the house with a small baby?) Our pediatrician said she'd like us to keep him home for the first 2 months--(HUH?)--not sure how that is ever possible for people with any sort of life, particularly if you have other children. I've was fortunate that last week was spring break at WVU, which meant Marlon had a flexible schedule, so he was able to come home early some days which allowed me the opportunity to go pick Alex up from school and run to the store as needed.

Here is a photo of Alex decorating the Consumer Reports magazine--she took out a page when she finished and hung it on the refrigerator.

Here is Kellan sleeping in his favorite spot--the car seat. We are going to start working on getting him on a schedule this week--he's already pretty much put himself on a schedule of eating every 3 hours, but we want to start working on getting him to sleep in his crib. He continues to have fussy periods once or twice a day where he is fed and changed, and seems to be tired, but nothing we can do makes him comfortable. I'm not sure if he is just gassy--we never really experienced that with Alex so this is uncharted waters for us. He will start to fall asleep in my arms then he will just scrunch up his face and start to cry, sometimes really hard. I've tried all different positions...cradling him, holding him on my chest, putting him in the swing or car seat...when he is in this mood nothing really seems to work. After sometimes 20 or 30 minutes, if I sway him and bounce him enough he will eventually pass out, then he is fine. Luckily this only happens a few times a day--it is definitely draining when you can't figure out what is wrong and don't know how to make him happy! If only newborns could talk...

Kellan sleeping with daddy...

Marlon and the kids bonding in the chair together. Marlon always gets the happy, quiet, sleeping baby. I get the cranky one!
Kellan continues to eat well and is still awake A LOT. He continues to sometimes go 2 hours without sleeping--he will wake up to eat and then stay awake until it is almost time to eat again. I'm hoping that as he learns how to soothe himself and put himself to sleep this will change a bit. I just worry that he isn't getting enough rest for a newborn baby! Alex continues to do really well as a big sister. She loves to get really close and check him out, and she loves when he is awake and looks back at her! She likes to get him to hold her finger, and she is doing great not being overly obsessed with him. She shows a healthy interest but then moves on to something else, which is good. Kellan has his 2-week check up at the doctor tomorrow, so I'm interested to see how he is growing. We will keep you all posted--hope you are all doing well!

4 comments:

Renee said...

he's so adorable jenn! look at all that hair!! :)

i totally understand the cabin fever thing - i got out as much as i could too (and obviously was a little too relaxed about bringing Mia out so early as she caught something!) glad you all made it out to church!

i will pray Kellan isn't a gassy baby... you KNOW how I know how that is! it definitely is draining when you can't make them happy. Nolan would do the same thing with scrunching up and wincing in pain. He never wanted to lay flat to sleep for naps (but for some reason, slept through the night really early on) - just always wanted to be curled up in a ball while I was holding him.
If you want, pick up some gripe water at Target - it has natural ingredients like ginger to relax his tummy, and I think it worked much better than mylicon. Nolan seemed to relax a lot after I gave it to him. It also helps with things like reflux and hiccups :)
You may want to check with the doctor first, but I thought it was great!

We still plan on coming out this weekend if that's okay (be honest if it's not) - we can't wait to visit!

Mindy said...

It looks like you all are doing well! Kellan is adorable. I think I had cabin fever worse with Grace than Edie. I remember just waiting for Josh to come home so I could go and pick up a pizza.
I hope we can get together soon!

Mike, Amy, Max and Lily said...

Hi Jenn--sorry to hear you're having a few fussy times during the day--we had that with Max, but it was usually in the middle of the night and it was usually because he was hungry--have you tried holding him on his stomach or side (with his back facing you) over your arm? That always works well for Max when he's cranky.

Also--I really loved the book "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Harvey Karp, M.D.--it was written for REALLY fussy babies, but it works well for slightly fussy ones too!

I can't believe your pediatrician wants you to keep him in the house for 2 months! I don't think I could handle that!

Glad to hear everything else is going well--especially with Alex!

Shelby said...

I hear you about the "fussy" baby. Chase cried for months on end and I believe some babies never are napper's or sleepers. Chase never naps which honestly has it's moments of driving me crazy. Lots of praying and I really leaned on Scott too for help when he came home from work - a quiet trip to the grocery store -I now look forward to that! I heard about the gripe water from others as well.. We will keep you in prayers and hopefully he's just a bit cranky from maybe being overwhelmed in his new environment :) ... He loved your belly - remember - didn't want to come out -- hee hee...:)