Kellan is doing very well. At only a week old, he is very alert and sometimes stays awake for a good hour at a time--we could rarely get Alex to stay awake for more than 15 minutes at this age, so this is quite a change. He is pretty content unless he is hungry, and he sometimes gets fussy when he is tired-you just need to find the right position to soothe him and he will generally fall asleep quickly. He was doing great with nursing while we were in the hospital, but once he was circumsized he started sleeping longer and when my milk came in he started to fight being nursed. I had to resort to pumping to relieve my discomfort and to make sure he was getting enough nourishment, and although I've tried to return to nursing he has wanted nothing to do with it. It sounds like I will be pumping for baby #2 as well! The good news is that he is a very good eater--he is eating 4 oz. at each feeding every 2-3 hours, so it's good to know he's getting a lot to eat!
He usually gets up twice during the night to eat so I am able to get small chunks of sleep throughout the night--I feel surprisingly well rested but I am assuming that this is because once you have your second child your body is already used to those middle of the night cries for help so it isn't as much of a shock to your system.
Enjoy some of the recent photos we took.
This picture was taken on Easter of big sister Alex and Kellan. Alex has done really well adjusting to having a new baby in the house. We leave it up to her to show an interest in him so we don't force anything, but she loves to visit him when she comes home or when she wakes up in the morning. She likes to help when we change his diaper and she has asked to hold him a few times. She's very sweet with him and says that he is very cute and beautiful.




5 comments:
Jenn, Kellan looks SO GOOD! I'm glad he's been such a good baby for you thus far. He looks so sweet and even though Davey started out much smaller and more difficult, I still miss those early days. It's amazing that Kellan stays awake for up to an hour at a time.... maybe he'll sleep through the night really early! :) One can always hope and dream, right?! :) Love ya, friend!
Cute pictures Jenn! Sorry to hear Kellan doesn't want to nurse--at least you can pump and give him breast milk that way.
I love the brown outfit--Max had the same one, but in red. It's so good that you are trying to savor every moment with him--it does go by so quickly--I can't believe Max is almost 5 months old! Seeing Kellan makes me miss my tiny baby, but not really miss how stressful those first few days/weeks can be.
I now know why Kellan stayed in for so long--he was busy growing HAIR! Mike and I can't get over how much he has! He has more now then Max does :)
I'll call you soon! Can't wait to see you guys--maybe we can come and visit in a few months when things settle down.
we're looking forward to seeing the little guy this weekend (and you guys too of course)!
Congrats Jenn and family! He is soo so cute. I love the pic with Alex and her little brother - her face looks like she is just loving her new little pal. I'm glad to hear he is such a great baby too and things are falling into place. Your a great mom and you've done wonderful with Alex - and Kellan - he's just the sweetest boy ever! You'll do great with two - no doubt about it! Keep us all posted - miss ya
love all the pics Jenn! I love the one of Kellan and big sister... :)
It's cool to see one of Nolan's old blankets in the background! :)
He's so cute and can't wait to see you all.
Post a Comment