For starters, I will revisit the labor process just this once (since it was not something so pleasant that I want to relive over and over again!). I began having contractions at home early Monday morning, although they were somewhat sporadic at first. I felt a lot of back pain, which was different than I had with Alex, so I wasn't that confident at first that this was real labor. By late morning I was pretty sure the contractions were here to stay and I was beginning to get more uncomfortable, but since I didn't want to be premature and run off to the hospital (despite knowing that second labors often progress more quickly!) I decided to wait it out a bit longer before calling the doctor. I finally called the dr around lunch time assuming they would send me on to the hospital, but the woman suggested I come into the office so they could check me first, then they would decide whether or not I should head to the hospital. We headed to the hospital around 1:30 and I was very uncomfortable at this point. When the dr checked me he first told me I was still 1 CM (WHAT???) but he was making a poor attempt at humor--I was actually 5-6 CM so they sent me over to the hospital, which was only a 5 minute drive away.
By the time we got to the hospital I was in a pretty good deal of pain--I don't think I made it this far with Alex before the epidural because I don't recall this type of pain from her birth! Once they got me settled in a room, the nurse had difficulty getting my IV started--I have bruised arms to prove it! Since it was necessary to get a bag of saline in me before the epidural, I was dreading the wait until that would arrive. They decided to check me to see how far along I was at this point, and that's when I heard those words "I hate to tell you this but...." I was already 9 Cm and there was no time for the epidural. I really hoped this nurse was also trying to be funny, but unfortunately that was not the case! I immediately began panicking--we had not prepared for a natural childbirth--I had not planned for breathing techniques, relaxation techniques, and Marlon was not prepared to coach me through this without the pain medication! I was in a ton of pain and feeling like I would need to push, but the dr. was still not at the hospital and my water had not broken yet. I was having contractions almost constantly so I was having a hard time relaxing--I was really tense and just wanted to get this over with! At some point the dr arrived and broke my water. Luckily the nurse had been telling me that the water was just about the only thing holding the baby in, so she guessed I would be able to deliver him pretty quickly after the water broke. I'm not sure how much time lapsed from once my water broke, but I don't think I pushed for too long--maybe 10 minutes? before Kellan was born. I was out of it for a bit afterwards--I had a bad case of the shakes and I had to be stitched up so I didn't actually get to see Kellan up close until about 45 minutes after he was born. So that was my labor in a nutshell! I feel anxiety just thinking about it again, but it produced a wonderful baby boy so it was worth it in the end! Below are a few photos...
Here is a photo of Kellan and his dad. He enjoys being burped this way, just like his big sister did! The below photo is of Alex at the hospital hanging out and watching a DVD with her friends Share Bear and Wish Bear (wish bear was her present from Kellan). She's a big Care Bears fan so this went over well.
Here is Kellan getting ready to leave the hospital (wearing a soccer sleeper, of course). We went home on Wednesday morning around 11:30.

Here is a picture of Kellan at home yesterday after a little bath. Do you like the smooth hair style? This kid has a TON of hair--we're wondering if it's going to fall out because Alex didn't have hair like this at all! He looked like a hairy old man the first 24 hours or so, although that is improving a bit now.

I have run out of free time to continue this post, but at least this gives you something to start with!


5 comments:
Jenn, I can't imagine planning to deliver with pain medication, and then hearing them say you have to do without.... that definitely must have made you tense and panicky. But you did a great job, and it will soon be but a memory (not too soon, but soon... :)) It's kind of cool that you had each child differently...
well, he's beautiful (and I can't BELIEVE all that hair!!) and he's here! can't wait to see him....
I'm sure you're doing great today by yourself with the 2 kids!
Your baby boy is so cute! I hope Alex is adjusting well. Congrats. I'm glad that since you had to deliver with out medication that it at least went fairly quick!
-Julie Cruz
He is so precious and worth every ounce of pain, i'm sure. you did a great job! keep posting!
I remember during labor thinking that I never wanted to do it again (not that I have), but now 2 1/2 years later it seems that it wasn't that bad! I imagine the intensity of how you were feeling will fade with time. Kellan is a cutie - with all that hair, it's a shame he can't model one of his aunt's headbands! ;)
I can't believe how small he looks in Marlon's hands - what a cutie pie. He's beautiful Jenn! I've been fortunate to have two c-sections so I can't imagine labor with or without pain med's but you definately painted a good pic of it ... I'm so proud of you! You did a great job!! I got knocked out with Chase so I didn't see him until 3 hours later so I know how it was feeling like I didn't see him right away like I did for Brady but then Scott says that he won't know - it just is bothering me -- good point:)! (I love how men put things in perspective for us emotional women sometimes - hee heee). I felt better then. Your a terrific mom and you and Marlon have been blessed with two very precious and beautiful gifts from God! Love ya.
Post a Comment